Is there a fee for being rescued at sporting events ?
In general, no !
On-site first aid for participants and spectators of a sporting or cultural event is almost always free. However, more specific configurations may arise:
- Absence of a health service at the event: In the specific case of small, very specific events, the organiser may not have called on a dedicated emergency service. In this case, you are dependent on the public emergency services. This may lead to the use of private ambulances (see below), SOS Médecin, etc. The costs are invoiced under the same conditions as if you had been taken care of during a solo excursion. Part of the cost is covered by the health insurance, the rest by your mutual insurance company, your insurance company or yourself. The intervention of a fire brigade vehicle remains free of charge, whether you are French or not.
- Ambulance transport: If you need to be transported to hospital by a private ambulance, the cost is approximately €60 + €2.32/km. Short distance, night & weekend and emergency surcharges may apply in addition. Transport, if prescribed, is reimbursed at 65% by the health insurance. The remaining 35% may be covered by your mutual insurance company or will be paid by you. Depending on the circumstances, the ambulance company may ask you to pay the 35% upon arrival at the hospital.
- Radiology & biology consultation with a doctor approved by the organisation’s health service: In order to avoid a hospital transfer, an agreement may have been made with the local doctor’s surgery to carry out a radiology or biology procedure locally. The event’s ambulances will then transport you to the practice free of charge, but the procedures will then be invoiced under the same conditions as if you were going to a doctor yourself. Part of the cost is covered by the health insurance, the rest by your mutual insurance company, your insurance company or yourself.
- Use of a helicopter: the costs of a helicopter are varied and can increase very quickly depending on the circumstances. The following paragraph details the main situations.
How much does a helicopter rescue cost ?
It’s free or very expensive depending on the case !
There are several possible scenarios:
- The organiser charters a private helicopter to provide rescue services at the event. The price of the flight is then generally billed to the competitor being rescued, at around €50 per minute.
- In France, the event’s health service calls on a public helicopter. The rescue is generally free for French citizens.
- You are taken care of abroad or near French territory by a foreign helicopter, the price of the flight is then charged to the competitor by the helicopter company. The amount can then be close to 100€/minute, knowing that even if the helicopter lands and cuts its turbines during the duration of your medical treatment on site, the time counter continues to run. Knowing that a rescue for a technical medicalization can quickly immobilize the helicopter for 90 minutes, it is advisable to make sure that your search and rescue insurances are valid in competition and cover you for an amount higher than 10 000€.
What do we offer
If you are in doubt with your Assistance & Search & Rescue cover, we advise you to take out the MUTUAIDE insurance product offered by the broker ASSURINCO.
ASSURINCO has been a travel insurance broker specialist for some forty years and has broadened its range of products to include events for organizers and, for some years now, for participants.
Find out more about the values and processes of our partner by visiting their website here.
Here are the main MUTUAIDE guarantees:
- valid for training and competition
- valid anywhere in the world, regardless of your country of residence
- 🚁 Search and rescue costs : 50 000€.
- 🏣 Medical expenses: €150,000 outside the country of residence (€5000 in the country of residence).
- ✈ Repatriation or medical transport: Actual costs.
- 🚲 Repatriation of sports equipment in the event of hospitalisation: Actual costs.
To give you peace of mind before the trip, the cancellation insurance offered by ASSURINCO refund you for the trip if the event is cancelled or if you are injured before the event.
- 90-day rate : 39€
- 1-year rate : 65€
Bien que. Alors que.Bien que. Alors que. Bien que. Alors que
Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant. Bien que. Alors que. Cependant.